Every once in a while in the fall and winter months I get a craving for a good carrot-ginger soup, I think it is mainly when my body needs the extra nutrients and nourishment. I have tried several recipes over the years and finally combined the best elements of the different recipes I have tried into one that I really love.
I love that this dish gives you a a huge serving of antioxidant and vitamin packed roots like carrots, ginger and turmeric. Ginger helps with detoxification by increasing circulation, digestion, and sweating. Turmeric, which contains the antioxidant curcumin is also known to support the livers ability to detoxify your body. Cilantro can help the body to rid itself of heavy metals.
The dollop of paleo coconut yogurt stirred in at the end adds probiotics and makes the soup nice and creamy! This is the perfect fall soup and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-inch nob ginger, peeled and grated
- 4-inch fresh turmeric, peeled and grated
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
cayennepepper to taste (exclude if AIP)
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 pounds carrot, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 5 cups Chicken stock
- Black pepper to taste (exclude if AIP
Dash of Paprika(exclude if AIP)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Dollop of Coconut Paleo Yogurt
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
Crossed out items should be excluded from the recipe if you are on AIP
- Heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil is melted, add the onion and stir occasionally until the onions turn transparent (appx. 3-5 minutes)
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon,
cayenne, and salt. Saute for appx. 1 minute and then add the carrots, chicken stock and water.
- Bring to a boil, and then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Blend the mixture until smooth using either a hand held immersion blender (recommended), or alternatively, you can blend the soup in your blender(Caution: if you are using a blender, you may want to cool the soup a bit so you don’t melt the plastic or burn yourself when pouring it in)
- Add in the lemon juice,
paprika, cinnamon, and pepper.
- Serve with chopped fresh cilantro and a dollop of paleo coconut yogurt which you can stir in.
Recipe Adapted from organicauthority